This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure for more info.
New Year’s Resolutions
New Year’s Resolutions? But, it’s mid-May, you say? Yes! We’re 5/12’s of the way through 2017. So, tell me. Honestly! How are you doing with your New Year’s Resolutions?
It seems that every year we make our list of New Year’s Resolutions and by January 3rd, we’ve thrown in the towel. Life starts to creep back into our plans and best intentions get put to the side. All the things that want to accomplish with another new year. All the best made plans. All the health choices, career choices, relationship choices – lost in the busyness.
I don’t know if that’s your story… but it is certainly ours!
What about a Bucket List?
Bucket List is a term I am sure you are familiar with. It’s that bucket that catches all the things that we’d like to do. Often it has a tag like: Bucket List: 10,000 things to do before you die!
There was even a movie made by the same title: The Bucket List (from 2007 I believe) in which two very unlikely characters find themselves sharing a hospital room and a similar health prognosis. They both bust out of the hospital together to knock as many items off their bucket lists as they can, in the time they have left.
I don’t know about you, but I don’t even remember what I toss into my bucket list. Never mind even getting around to putting a plan in place to actually accomplish any of it!
Bucket lists seem to fill up with a million grains of sand as we build our sand castles of dreams that seem to erode with the winds and waves. So, we’re trying things a little differently this time!
Run the Race
Life is too short to get to the finish line and not have given it our all! So, we are putting together a list of 101 things that we’d like to do or accomplish over the next 1001 days. We think it is way more cool and more likely to keep us on track than resolutions or bucket lists! Countdown with us as we work on our list! You can follow along with our progress here. We’ll keep this list updated as we check items off our list!
So, while New Year’s Resolutions are good – we’re hoping this will help keep us motivated throughout the whole year… and between now and our deadline, we still have 3 more opportunities to set some New Year’s Resolutions! But I’m quite sure that they’ll be things that are already on our larger 1001 day list!
We’d love for you to join us in creating your own list of 101 things.
We’ve even put together a fun little template for you to keep track of your list and your deadline! Click here to download it! And then print it and keep it at your bedside or on your fridge. Pick something to work on everyday! And don’t forget to drop us a note to tell us how it’s going!
We’ve used an online date calculator to figure out our 1001 deadline! Here’s the link. Just type in the current date and the number of days you’d like to add to it! In our case, it’s 1001!
On your mark! Get set! Go!!
Our Countdown to February 14, 2020
So when I typed in today’s date, to figure out what our 1001 days deadline would be, it came out as February 14, 2020! That sounds like a perfect deadline to race towards! Can you believe that 2020 is that close! WOW! This is what I mean – life passes by so quickly. Let’s grab ahold of every moment and make the most of it. Run the race with all you’ve got!
Remember Y2K? Welcoming in a new millennium? Can you believe it was nearly 20 years ago?
Life flies by. Before you know it, it will be over.
Drum Roll Please – Here’s our 101 List
1. Launch A Blog About Aging and More with Grace + Frank
2. Visit a museum
3. Listen to live music
4. Upgrade my camera
5. Begin sending anniversary cards to our friends
6. Keep my inbox tidy for a month
7. Ride a horse [see Pinterest Inspiration Board: Beautiful Horses]
8. Take a wine course
9. Plant a succulent container [see Pinterest Inspiration Board: Succulents]
10. Plant an air plant [see Pinterest Inspiration Board: Air Plants]
11. Develop a thank-you gift for our medical community
12. Plant tulips in the fall for next spring
13. Knit a hat
14. Make my mom’s pickles
15. Make my mom’s strawberry jam
16. Make my mom’s peach jam
17. Make my mom’s relish
18. Make my mom’s chili sauce
19. Make my grandma’s carrot pudding
20. Make my grandma’s Christmas cake
21. Blog every weekday for a month
22. Read 101 books
23. Visit Ottawa for the tulip festival
24. Plan a photo tour to South America
25. See a solar eclipse
26. Unplug more – 2 weekends a year
27. Photograph humpbacks [see Pinterest Inspiration Board: Whales]
28. Upgrade my computer
29. Throw a garden party
30. Go camping
31. Plant a clematis garden trellis [see Pinterest Inspiration Board: Clematis Garden Trellis]
32. Print some canvases
33. Attract hummingbirds & butterflies to my garden
34. Join a club
35. Sew an apron
36. Quilt a table runner
37. Print something for over mantle
38. Take our home to paperless
39. Move our music to digital
40. Purge CD cases
41. Digitize our old slides
42. Digitize our old photos
43. Organize our digitized images
44. Implement a reader poll
45. Keep a gratitude journal for a month
46. Design and launch an email course
47. Develop and launch new business idea
48. Start swimming again
49. See Algonquin in the fall
50. Go on a picnic
51. Take my parents’ portraits for their 50 anniversary
52. Design a webinar course
53. Publish a children’s book
54. Enjoy a glass of wine with candles and music
55. Read a classic book
56. Read an inspirational biography
57. Read 5 business books and review each on my blog
58. Start a morning reflection routine
59. Start journalling again
60. Read through the Bible in a year
61. Have a neighbour over for dinner
62. Sit and watch a sunrise
63. Write a letter to an old friend
64. Go fruit picking
65. Rent a convertible
66. Stay at a luxury resort and go to the spa
67. Take a road trip
68. Enjoy a beach vacation
69. Climb a mountain
70. Go sailing
71. Go to a concert
72. Take a pottery class
73. Take an art class
74. Visit an art exhibit
75. Print + hang more photos in our home
76. Design and print personalize stationary
77. Design and print note cards [See Pinterest Inspiration Board: Fabulous Fonts]
78. Design and print Christmas Cards
79. Learn to paddleboard
80. Learn to ski
81. Learn to Nordic Walk
82. Start playing piano again
83. Move closer to Frank’s folks
84. Design and print our Medical Records Binders
85. Design and print our Estate Binder
86. Update our wills
87. Update our Power of Attorney Documents
88. Update our Advanced Medical Directives
89. Send a card & gift to someone “just because”
90. Learn to do hand lettering
91. Plan a retirement vacation
92. Research snowbird retirement options
93. Retire early
94. Plan a “Paris in Spring” vacation
95. Plan a “Christmas in Europe” vacation
96. Make Beeswax Food Wraps [See Pinterest Inspiration Board: Beeswax Wraps]
97. Plant a tree
98. Upgrade our smart phones
99. Dry herbs
100. Drink more water [See Pinterest Inspiration Board: Infused Water]
101. Write our next 101 in 1001 list!
Bonus [under wraps for now!]